Wednesday, 2 October 2013

Gili

Next morning we took a fast boat to Gili. It's a set of 3 islands. What a beauty. It's the best combination of beauty, views, sand, water, corals, price, atmosphere that I've ever seen. Bali beaches? Forget Bali beaches. I think Bali beaches are the worst I've ever seen, have you heard of anything else to do in Indonesia other than Bali? Koh Tao in Thailand - world famous scuba diving, with the most scuba diving certificates issued in the world, is the worst diving site for me. Phuket in Thailand, the worst island in Thailand. Thailand, probably the least interesting country in Asia. The point is ... stop listening to advertisements and smart ass marketing people!
Went snorkeling off the beach, something that you dream to see while scuba diving, turtles, are easily seen off the beach here. I've seen 4 in 1 hour. 1 of them was 3 meters from the shore. Others I swam to so close, I could see it's pupils :) I think we'll stay here longer than planned :)
There are 3 Gili islands, all are great. Wide, clean, white sand beach surrounds all the islands with turquoise water. No cars, no bikes, just a few bicycles and some horse carriages. There are hotels and restaurants for all tastes from backpackers to millioners. We walk along the sand streets bare feet with shorts and a bikini top, and pass some couples with beautiful evening dresses with diamond necklaces. Everyone is always smiling and is super friendly. A lot of the restaurants are right on the beach with either tables or puffs in the sand, and when the tide comes in, the waves caress your feet. We sit with a live band playing, candle on the table, eating fresh catch, with the cat sitting on my lap drooling over it :) In the hotel which is a bungalow sitting in a green garden, we eat breakfast served on our balcony of a fluffy tomato/cheese omelet with fresh fruits. Then we snorkel, then we watch a beautiful sunset and I feel like I'm in heaven. Seems like in a lot of places in Indonesia I feel like I'm in heaven.
Went to Gili Meno for a day trip. It's so relaxing, barely any bungalows, barely any people. We decided to stay there. Picked a bungalow 3 meters from the water, with the front wall made out of a bamboo which can be rolled up. First 3 days it was nice, on the 4th day I started going crazy. We did a lot of snorkeling, took too many pictures, relaxed too much, walked around the island a few times collecting shells. While snorkeling I saw turtles, a lobster, a big puffer fish, huge schools of thousand and thousand tiny fish, corals in a valley, then a coral cemetery, of white, broken, destroyed corals. And in the middle of that, I bumped across a lion fish! There is beauty to be found in any ugliness.
We played chess, and with my prolonged thinking it was a good time to waste :) On the 3rd game I even started to show my teeth and to scare him, of course it cost me a few figures, but that's not what matters, right? And between his moves when I was thinking for a few minutes, and he was sorting his pictures on the computer, I even managed to eat his pawn :)

https://picasaweb.google.com/100036016632387453128/Gili

1 comment:

  1. Yana

    It looks very beautiful there
    The water is so clear.
    Thanks for the beautiful pictures... never enough :+)

    Ken

    ReplyDelete